I think I'm doing pretty well so far in English. I'm enjoying what we're reading because I've always tried to question the meaning of school, or how it pertains to me and my peers. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that believes that school shouldn't be about just learning and regurgitating. Plus, some of those who are criticizing the system are college professors and doctors!
I've begun to learn the difference between juicy claims and non-juicy claims (which are new terms for me to classify theories and opinions and what not). In the past it's been difficult for me because I never really looked at writing as we have in this class, so it's been am interesting change from my post-high school norm. Just from one conference with my teacher, I've already seen what I need to do and how I need to do those things better. Citations and elaborations are what I've been told I need to do better, so I intend to, it's as simple as that.
What I'd like to learn is how to write like a pro. I know that sounds pretty vague, but when I see an essay from someone like Gatto or Friere, I'm just blown away. I wanna be able to break down what I want to say and how I want to say it in a sweet essay. I have an appreciation for writing that is well thought out and meaningful, so that's the kind of writer I would like to be. I wouldn't want to make a career out of it mind you, but writing for leisure couldn't hurt a bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment