Sunday, January 15, 2012

Reading Journal entry #2

First off, this essay likes to repeat itself. It restates the main point in almost EVERY paragraph,which is quite redundant. However, it does definitely get its point across, which I can applaud.
One flashpoint  I found extremely interesting was in page four, paragraph five, in which it is explained that the more the "lesser" majority gets used to the "elite" minority's prescriptions, the more the majority will be rendered helpless and unable to live for their own purpose. This passage really means a lot to me because I see it happen everyday. In the workplace, superiors boss their subordinates around like cattle and force them to do their bidding at the loss of the subordinates job. That's insane! Although they are lower ranking, shouldn't there be a compromise? Shouldn't there be some communication between the ranks? This passage really stood out to me because there NEEDS to be communication, not just in the workplace, but in every situation that involves learning and wants. That's what this essay does well, it call for a need of communication
Another flashpoint that stuck out to me in The "Banking" Concept of Education essay was on page five, paragraphs four, five, and six. This passage describes what oppression is and how it affects the minds of those learning. I can totally relate with this concept because I've been through classes where us as students weren't allowed free reign on how we could learn, or if we could choose our own style for doing projects, etc. It was a "my way or the highway" kind of approach from the teacher. After being in an environment like that, processing information was different. I felt as though I was waiting for some harsh structure to be laid upon me, when there wasn't going to be one. The oppression style classroom had changed me and forced me to almost relearn how to have free reign over myself. One theme that Freire is touching on here is that students need to have their own system for learning and understanding. Teachers can't always impose their learning style to others, students need to find their own style. If those being taught can't decide for themselves on how to understand material that is being given to them, then teachers and students both fail. If both fail, then nothing gets accomplished. This concept is failure at its finest.
The third flashpoint that jumped out at me was on page eight in paragraph six. In this paragraph the main point is about consciousness. What I found the most interesting was the example of a product of the "banking" system of education. The Chilean peasant couldn't fathom how consciousness could exist without humans. It does though. Just because humans can fathom what consciousness actually is, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist without man living. When educated from an authoritarian type educational system, I can see where that would be impossible to realize. Freire is touching on the fact that those who are educated in a system of authority, teach authority. Which to me, makes perfect sense because if that's all you know, that's all you can teach.
Freire has many concepts that he is putting forth, but the main ones that stuck out to me where the ones I selected as flashpoints. Understanding that there needs to be communication to achieve harmony, that each of us need to understand our own learning style, and that education needs to be more liberal in terms of guidelines are all main points that meant the most to me. When I was writing the flash points, it made me think of how I was educated and who and what had told me I was doing a good job or if what I was doing was wrong. It makes me want to reevaluate and reinvent myself to be more understanding of concepts that I had been intolerant towards.

1) Although there are ignorant people who are examples of the "banking" system, are there examples of people who are understanding and accepting?
It would hurt his argument a little bit, but showing both sides (bad products of a bad system, and good products of a bad system) would I think give him more credibility.

2) How can those who are against the "banking" system come together to create a more sophisticated and tolerable system?
If we want the system to change something needs to be done. So literally, can we do anything? I think ideas need to start surfacing about what we as students or past educators or current teachers can do to only improve the system we are products of.

3) Can there be a way to undo what has already been done to our schooling system?
If we fail to question and create a plan (sort of continuing off question 2) what will eventually come of the schooling system? Or can we do anything about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment