I personally thought that this essay was really brilliant and very confusing.
The concepts that were discussed however were amazing. This essay was a definite change from past essays we've read because it started out with a history lesson. I really enjoyed it because I enjoy history a lot so learning about the conquering of the Incas was a fantastic intro to this essay. I really enjoyed the main themes because everyone has to use language to communicate, whether its speech or text, it's all related. When I read about the Incas and Spanish, it was amazing to realize that someone used a language from another society and mixed it with his own to properly portray what was going on during the conquering, whether it was cruelty, equality, or hostility.
I thought the overall project was to have readers realize that language has the most power when read and analyzed by members of authority. I honestly believe that people who are in power positions can choose what and who they want the "public" to know about. This essay should be directed to anyone who has been in a subordinate position.
The main flashpoints in this essay for me were when Pratt mentioned her fourth grade son and Felipe Guaman Poma de Ayala. The part that really struck me about her son was the wisdom he showed when it came to talking about his new school. " 'But do you know why they're nicer?' 'Why?' I asked. 'So you'll obey all the rules they don't have', he replied." (Pratt 5) I think everyone can relate to this scene because we were all children. Everyone can remember being kids and following rules that were both spelled out and the ones that were implied. In my experience, I can totally remember that it was easier to follow rules when figures of authority were generally nice to me. It was difficult to follow rules when teachers were mean. I didn't want to associate or even talk with the powerful people who were watching and disciplining me.
In terms of Guaman, I was just amazed that he wrote a 1,200 page essay that combined two languages. Language is very important, so for someone to need to express their feelings so badly as to learn another language and use it in combination with their native language just continually blows my mind. I've never heard of anyone fiending to use multiple languages to get their point across so badly. I wish people in the United States had the drive to speak and get their point across in a manner that isn't crude and meaningless, but creative and satirical like Guaman.
No comments:
Post a Comment